Don’t get me wrong. I am very blessed to have been able to have my babies. Beyond measure. Pregnancy is amazing and wonderful, and there are really no words for it. That being said, it’s not always rainbows and sunshine every day. That’s just a fact of life. It’s painful and scary and sometimes you just want someone to say “want me to rub your feet?”. And sometimes you just want to be grumpy and complain about what hurts. So this post is my way of showing support, from one pregnant mom to another. Sometimes there’s nothing you can do about those aches and pains, nausea and hormones, but here are some things that might help more than the typical “this too shall pass” response…
- Chocolate. It will make you feel better if you let it. Forget all that BS about “don’t use this as an excuse to eat for two”. Go get you a cookie. You’re growing another eyeball in there.
- Hot bath. Don’t get it scalding hot… use some common sense. But throw some epsom salts in there and relax. Water makes you feel weightless, for one thing. Hot baths normally help me with aches and pains – even if it’s only temporary.
- Coffee. Don’t freak out. You can have one cup every morning. And then you can drink decaf and pretend it’s the real thing. It’s better than nothing!
- Cry. Pregnancy is the only time you actually have an excuse to cry and throw a fit whenever you want. It’s his fault for getting the wrong brand of cereal anyway. Go ahead and let it out, and then take a nap. You’re growing tiny fingernails.
- Did I mention taking a nap? I know this isn’t always an option, but if you do get a chance, TAKE A NAP. You’re growing a second heart inside of your body. Take a freaking nap.
- Me time. Sit down, read a book or something. Paint your nails if it makes you feel better, or not. Scroll on Facebook for a while. But enjoy some peace and quiet where you don’t have to do anything.
- Quit listening to everybody else. Follow the doc’s list of do’s and don’t’s, follow your own mother’s instinct (yes, you have it already) and stay off the Internet. You’ve got this.
- Relax and let shit go. By that I mean quit stressing so much about cleaning and trying to do everything and be perfect. You’re growing a baby! Another brain. A whole respiratory system. Tiny fingers and tiny toes. You probably can’t sleep, you’re often uncomfortable. And all the painful and crappy symptoms that nobody understands. On top of it you walk like a penguin and you can’t drink. If you want a piece of cake, you deserve it!
Just remember, it really is more than worth it. And even though you feel like you’ve been pregnant for 10 years, it will be over before you know it. Just give yourself some credit and cut yourself some slack… You’re growing a baby and it’s hard work. 🙂